Neurobiology Blog 2: Why do I remember " R double E S E S "?

 

Retrieved from: William Lupo – Perfect Combo Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Video link: Reese's Puffs Rap - YouTube 

An ad that stuck out to me, and that I still know every word/lyric to this day, is the Reeses Puff cereal rap commercial that appeared on TV all of the time. Every time I hear the word "reeses" or see reeses cereal in the store, my mind automictically goes to that commercial that first appeared on TV years ago. The creators had a catchy rap that described the cereal, used colors and different patterns that "popped" on the TV screen, and had a good-looking kid, who I had a crush on at the time, that performed the cereal rap. All of these things played a role in how effective and memorable the commercial was. At the time, I loved anything with chocolate and peanut butter. Every time I seen the commercial on television, it's like I could automatically taste and smell the cereal!

So why do I remember this ad from years ago? It has a lot to do with our limbic system, however, specifically the hippocampus and amygdala. The hippocampus is located deep in the brain, in the temporal lobe. It plays a major role in learning and memory. It's also essential for declarative and episodic memory. The amygdala is responsible for processing and input of our emotions. The communication between these two ties our emotions and memories together. This explains why I vividly remember this commercial.

Dr. Yazin further explains our visual concept of advertisements. He shows two advertisements and the eye tracking data behind it. The data showed that while we watch advertisements, we are most likely to focus on faces or the "main objects" in the video. Producers can use to an advantage in regard to adding or removing parts of the ad, to decide what works and what doesn't work, which helps or predicts engagements from the audience. I found this interesting!

 


References:

The neuroscience of films - Dr. Fahd Yazin - Mad Over Videos - YouTube

Yang, Y., & Wang, J.-Z. (2017, October 17). From structure to behavior in basolateral amygdala-hippocampus circuits. Frontiers. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncir.2017.00086/full#:~:text=The%20amygdala%20is%20specialized%20for,the%20emotion%20into%20particular%20outcomes.




Comments

Popular Posts